Friday, September 4, 2009

Contacts: My Friend, My Enemy

Today I had an eye appointment. I go every two years, honestly because that is when insurance will pay for it. Anyway, today was a delightful experience. I'd like to give a shout out to Dr. Yount, because he is fun and quick. He is so encouraging as he tells you how bad your eyes are, and confident in how to correct them. His only fault comes with those drops that dilate my eyes for a day. I can't blame him for that, though, because I know it's just his job.

So I'm getting a new pair of contacts next week. I use gas permeables, so I only get a new pair every other year. As nice as it will be to have new lenses, I can't help but think of all the things I've let contacts keep me from over the years. Swimming, for one. I don't want to swim with my contacts in for fear of losing them. They are expensive to replace. And I don't want to swim without them, because I really dislike the whole fuzziness factor. This has kept me out of pools AND oceans. I also don't camp because of my contacts. Gas perms require a certain amount of daily maintenance involving running water. And I will NOT use a freezing cold creek as my running water. I'm hesitant to go on roller coasters, because wind and dust could blow into my eye and possibly pop out the contact. And I love roller coasters. Part of the reason I don't like to stay out late is because after about 14 hours, the contacts seem to quit and my eyes refuse to self-lubricate. I'm not really a fan of my glasses, so I'd rather just stay home and go to bed when it's time to take out the contacts.

I dream of the day when I can have lasik. To swim or snorkel and not be worried would be glorious. Of course, I'd lose my "no camping" excuse, but I think I could live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment