Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review: Thicker Than Blood

My first book review! My husband's sister's husband (his brother-in-law? My brother-in-law? I never know what to call that guy) introduced me to the wonderful world of book reviews. I LOVE to read. I also am an aspiring writer, so I love to read to find out why a story was published.

Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of Thicker Than Blood as a part of their blogger book review program.

In Thicker Than Blood, we find Christy Williams, a 30-something woman trying to forget her troubled past and feeling like she finally has it together. She loves her job as an antiquarian book buyer. However, things begin to fall apart when a stolen Hemingway first edition is found in her possession. Soon Christy is fleeing from a crime she didn't commit, an extremely unhealthy relationship and God. With no one to turn to, Christy seeks out her younger sister, who she abandoned 15 years ago. May's ranch could be a safe place, but obviously there is some serious mending that needs to take place between the sisters.

The story gives a lot of information about antique book buying and cattle ranching, neither of which I've ever paid any attention to. However, C.J. Darlington effortlessly draws you into the story whether you like books and cattle or not. In fact, her colorful descriptions and intriguing plot twists make you believe you are a part of those worlds and always have been. I quickly found myself at the end of the book, and then stayed up past my bedtime just to finish.

As a reader, I really enjoyed the story. As a writer, I would study C.J. Darlington's works just to see if I could emulate her style. I would definitely recommend Thicker Than Blood to anyone who loves Christian fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment