Monday, January 25, 2010

What Holds Me Back

I want to be a writer. I have since I was a little girl. And I've been reading and studying in earnest what it takes to be a writer for the last year or so. And I think the thing that holds me back is the fact that I need to make a decision.

I've read so many times that you need to write every day. It makes sense; you can't be a writer if you don't write. I've read that you need to write first thing. I've read that you need to plan how much you're going to write every day and stick to it. I've read that you should make a goal to write for x number of hours a day, or x number of words a day.

The thing is, I'm also a mother. A stay at home mother. And I LOVE that job. And having a toddler doesn't allow for writing for a massive amount of time each day.

I need to decide how much I want to devote to writing. I hope that someday I can spend hours a day writing. Uninterrupted hours. But that time is not now.

So I decide that my goal is to write 500 words a day. If the story is moving, that will only take me about a half hour. I can definitely dedicate a half hour to writing each day. Will my 500 words and a half hour get me anywhere right now? It's hard to say. But that's what I can give, and rather than feeling bad each day because I didn't get more done or not writing because I know I can't write for several hours, I'm going to give it the best I've got. If anything, maybe I'll slowly be honing my craft so I can come out swinging when my time does free up.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to be able to spend some more time writing, but I have a toddler and homeschool my older two kids. If you have iTunes, there are some great writing podcasts. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I'm in the same boat, a SAHM of a toddler. I used to write a lot professionally but now I want to pursue my dream of being my own author. I admit, Dora and the Wonder Pets do allow me some time to write :) But usually it's during naps, or even jotting down notes during meals. Write when you can,when you feel inspired. Just never force it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the good news: toddlers grow up! And fast, too. I would encourage you to write as you are able. That way, when the time is right for you, you'll be prepared. It may be down the road when the toddler is - well, not a toddler anymore.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete